Friday, May 1, 2009

Sowing the Seeds

This past winter my wife and I decided to team up with my sister to begin a large scale garden. I grew up on the farm and we always had a garden. I remember years we had what felt to me like an acre of fruit and vegetables. Hollie and I had done a little urban farming with three small raised planter beds at our old place, but had nowhere to plant a garden at our new abode. My older sister Andrea and her husband Alan have an acreage north of town and had done some gardening in the past. However, we thought joining forces would present an unstoppable force of green thumbing. We were going to go big this year.

We felt this was a good opportunity to work on something as a family and would allow all our boys to run around out in the country, hang out, and start working on something together as a family. We're already big on that around Christmas with the tree farm. However, it can be tough to get the boys involved with that enterprise considering their current ages, the equipment involved, and the weather. So, it was garden time.

This blog came to be out of a string of joking emails between my sister and me. Hollie and Andrea had gathered together a seed list over Christmas. Sometime in March I ran across an advertisement for Survival Seeds. They provide a set of heirloom seeds for what I began billing Apocalypse Gardens (a play on Victory Gardens of the World War II era).

New Survival Seed Bank Lets You Plant A Full Acre Crisis Garden!
New "Survival Seed Bank" Produces Thousands Of Pounds Of Nutrient-Dense Food For Pennies Per Pound.. Enough To Feed Friends And Family Forever!


I joked we should start a blog chronicling our adventures in gardening, and we were off. This is not an end of the world pursuit, but we are planning enough garden to freeze and can in order to help lower our produce bills at the supermarket. Planting should be commencing soon.

No comments: