Thursday, May 7, 2009

Onions and Carrots and Beets, Oh My

Planting has continued on the garden. Andrea and I put in 8 rows of onions, 5 rows of beets, carrots, kohlrabi, and cucumbers. We also put in several rows of sweet potatoes(complete with newspaper mulch), and several different varieties of peppers. We have found it challenging planting, watching 3 ambitious boys and being pregnant(one of whom will give birth by next week!) Watching the boys is to our advantage as many times they like to dig in the garden or walk where there are plants. Weeding should prove to be interesting with the 3 of them(at least the new baby will be stationary for awhile!) it may need to occur at nap time. The boys love to be outside though and the bonus is the garden is right by the train tracks! The gator also provides much needed entertainment while we are working. The rest of the garden is scheduled to be tilled this weekend(depending on rain) and then we hope to get as much of the rest of it in as possible on Sunday(when we have some male help, who can bend quite easily as no baby is filling their abdomen) Still to come sweet corn, tomatoes, herbs, squash, melons, gourds, Indian corn, lettuce, and I'm pretty sure there are more that I have not named:)

5 comments:

Farmgirl Chaos said...

Greenbeans? A garden isn't complete without those!

clarkitect said...

Coleigh, we planted the green beans between the potatoes. C'mon, you think we would forget green beans. I eat them raw out of the garden.

Mom said...

Looking good. I planted some asparagus and strawberries but the rain continues and it will probably be after new grandbaby is born that the garden gets in.

Mom said...

You know, I remember when Carl would pull out the green peppers with the excuse that he thought they were weeds!
Love it that the love of soil is implanted in the Clarks and Spencers. I remember my Grandma, who lived with us in Chicago, getting a huge load of black soil every year to put in our backyard for the garden. Mostly flowers as I recall, along the edge of the fence (you know we had limited space on Farragut Avenue).

EClark said...

I love the gator picture. I can just picture them all grown up on a real gator at the tree farm.